Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Getting Settled...




So, even though the first couple of days here were really tough trying to get into the swing of things, it seems like everything is getting better. I've started all of my classes and they actually seem a lot harder than I thought they'd be but I think I might be able to get away with not doing most of the work ;) hahahah. The other cool thing that I've learned about this time of year is that all of the shops have big sales. The next sale season isn't until July so today I took advantage and went out buying stuff. Then the other awesome thing that happened was that as I was about to order my new favourite food (Shawarma, which is like Gyros from Greek but Shawarmas are from Lebanon or the Middle East...) a couple in front of me spoke perfect English so I thought that was weird and maybe they were just some Americans on vacation. Anyways after I order I walk upstairs to go eat my shawarma and they follow me and then at the top of the stairs they say, "so you're Canadian eh?" (from the flag on my backpack) and they ask to sit with me. Turns out their Canadian too from just north of Toronto. The guy (Dan) is here working on renewable energy in a northern place in Denmark and his girlfriend (Natasha) came over for a week to visit him. It was awesome just talking to people from Canada again hahaha and cool that they recognized me from my flag.

And, last night was pretty cool because in front of the city hall downtown there was a huge welcoming party for the Danish Handball team which just won the European Championships for 2008. There were thousands of people gathered at the City Hall and I'll try to upload some pictures to see if it works. But there were fireworks, cheering, lots of Danish flags and the Prince even made an appearance. Pretty cool. It reminded me of how excited Europeans get about football (aka soccer) on tv and stuff.


2 comments:

Miranda said...

I LOVE shawarmas! Used to get them at a little place in Metrotown which is now closed - we will have to hunt out a spot when you come home!

Sounds like fun - we miss you!
Miranda, Paul, & Holly

Chris Chan said...

hahaha yea they're awesome! but I'm afraid I might get sick of them soon... which is bad because they have been saving me! lol. but i'm sure we can find one somewhere in vancouver.